In 1957 the chance arose for Harold to purchase some land at the former Seaton/ Axmouth dump. With good access to the River Axe, a train station next door and main road, and plenty of yard space it was ideal. The extra space lead to the building of bigger boats in the 1950’s, 1960’s and 1970’s – namely 43 feet Thames Cruisers, and fishing boats up to 35 feet. Many of these can be seen in the photo gallery pages for 1950’s, 1960’s and 1970’s. To build these size boats required manpower rather than the power tools of today. A significant workforce of eleven men were employed: Sam Searle, Clive Lee, Philip Lush, Alan Wakely, Tim Dack, Peter Chapple, Graham Rolands, Alan Baker, Derek Jones, John Scott and Rabbit Parish, a fair few still pop by today. There was also the infamous “Steve the Tramp” who would live at the boatyard on occasion and provide some weird and wonderful decorating with whatever paint was lying around! It was during these busy days that Paul Mears (the Son) began boatbuilding in 1961. Growing up in Beer he was always around boats through choice and environment. Being the boss’s son did not afford Paul any luxuries though; long hours, physically demanding work and a constantly changing style of boat to build galvanised Paul’s love for building boats, and his passion continues today.